Monday, March 1, 2010

Tangled Shadows: The Enigma of Henri Frenay

My apologies for the belated episode. I'm not dead, but was having and recovering from surgery for part of that time, so close but no cigar on that one.

Now on to our first episode to be about just one person, so who else could a podcast about the Resistance focus an entire episode on than.... Henri Frenay?! What?

Nope, you heard it here first unless you've heard it somewhere else: Mssr. Frenay is the most important person an aspiring Resistance buff could hope to understand. You probably never will, but your understanding of the Resistance will increase exponentially for trying.

The good news is some of the delay was spent buying and learning to use new podcast equipment, the bad is that I still can't pronounce things for carp. The more things change...

Writing this post took much longer than most because info on Mssr. Frenay is so thin on the ground and because for a while I had it wrapped around use of the song "No Handlebars" by the Flobots. However, since the laws about podcasting music at the moment state that there aren't any laws about podcasting music, I've decided to just play it safe and cut it entirely. Consider it the unofficial soundtrack to this episode.

Looking forward to providing you with more content soon (perhaps even a quick opinion piece on one particular issue being discussed in the Resistance world recently). Until next time, vive la Resistance.

4 comments:

albert said...

Fortunate for me to have this new episode so recently after I found the podcast. Really enjoying + learning from it. Keep up the good work.

I've been curious for a long time about the following, but have had a hard time digging up anything up on the subject. I wonder if you might know anything, or have any suggestions. In a few films I've seen, clandestine resistance radio broadcasts have this strange, rhythmic and high-pitched sound in the background. You can hear it, and perhaps see the device used to generate the sound, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKYz7l65INQ.

Do you have any idea what this is and why it was used? I find it quite hypnotic. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This is an imitation of the German attempts to jam radio broadcasts, which sounded pretty much like this. It was not made by a coffee grinder, as in the extract from "Delicatessen" that you link to!

albert said...

Thanks for the response, Anonymous, but even with that interesting piece of information I'm afraid it still doesn't make sense to me. Why imitate German jamming attempts? And thanks also for clarifying re: the coffee grinder :). Nevertheless, I've certainly heard that sound in documentary films, as well...

Kensington said...

Glad to see people here know the answers to questions like Albert's. I would've guessed the sound you're hearing is one made by the radio set's trying to find transmissions (if it's the one I'm thinking of).

Now that you've got us into this mystery, Albert, be sure to let us know when you find the answer.

Any other takers?